New York, NY | 650 sq ft. | 2013
Two 4 ½ storey houses built in 1852-53 were combined in the early 20th century. Originally retail on the street level, these spaces were altered for residential use at the time of the combination. Now, as a co-op, the residents of the building hoped to benefit from the retail boom along Bleecker Street by converting the ground floor back to retail space. EOA reviewed the storefronts along Bleecker Street and found that the most successful were those that made a gesture towards the architecture of the neighborhood. This review process informed the choice of palette, materials and scale of elements. Each store has a separate entrance with a bay window clad in blackened steel, a modern interpretation of the bay windows that were in place previously.